The objective of the design phase is to create and develop
a user interface design that is based on the requirements
specification, and that supports the users with their
task at hand. Early designs will be simple and sketchy. These
will mature into one final design through an iterative process
of evaluation and redesign. Successful design will:
©UsabilityNet 2006. Reproduction permitted provided the source is acknowledged.
- Create and develop design ideas using multidisciplinary
- If necessary allocate tasks
between humans and machines
- Visualise design ideas using sketches, models and simulation/dynamic
- Consider using parallel design.
- Evaluate design ideas with
a few typical users. Get them to carry out typical simulated/real
tasks, using methods that may include storyboarding
or wizard of oz.
- Expert or heuristic
evaluation may also be used.
- Ensure that the design takes account of design guidelines
- Feed the results back into the design process quickly.
- Iterate the process of design - evaluation until design
objectives are fulfilled.